How to Build a Log Store
Log stores are simple structures that can easily be built yourself, especially if you have an old wooden pallet available.
1. Make sure before you start that the proposed log store will take a full load of logs e.g. a cubic metre. You may want to partition the store into seasoned logs and logs that are being seasoned.
2. Use the pallet as a base, placing directly on the ground or on an area of shingle or rubble for better drainage.
3. Drive in four corner posts into the ground ensuring that the wooden posts are secured in a mixture of sand and cement to make them sturdy.
4. Cover the back of the shed with cross slats at intervals to allow a free flow of air through the store and /or fix diagonals from the top to bottom corner on the back and sides for additional strength and stability.
4. The roof can be made from rough sawn wood slats covered in roofing felt. The roof should have at least a fifteen degree slope to ensure the rain runs off easily. It may be prudent to have the slope of the roof to the back, so that when you collect wood on a rainy day, you do not get even more wet.
The alternative is to buy a log store which you assemble yourself. The price is often not much more than the cost of the wood!
The How To Specialist
This video from the How to Specialist on YouTube provides a link with step by step instructions to build this log store.
The alternative is to buy a log store which you assemble yourself. This will save you time and probably look better.
Log Store Build
Some DIY examples on video from YouTube:
This video also includes directions about how to get log store plans.
Good examples of self built log stores:
The alternative is to buy a log store which you assemble yourself. This is a lot easier depending on your carpentry skills.